Blog Archive

6/29/12

Colorblocked clutch.


How to color block your clutch, a DIY.

Clutches are a go to for summertime events. And what not a better way to make that drab clutch loved again by doing your own accessory color blocking? I have this custard lemon yellow clutch that I purchased during my college days at Forever 21. For the past year it has been in a box under my bed (a completely valid reason to either donate it to my local thrift store or make it into something better). When I thought about color blocking an accessory, this little fold over clutch immediately popped into mind.
Definitely pleather.
photo source
The color combination of yellow, aqua, and grey is one of my favorites right now (and they also go really well with other bright summer colors). So I decided to add aqua paint with hopes of using the clutch with outfits sporting grey, cream, bright pink, cobalt, green, etc. First, I taped off the section of the front flap that I wanted aqua making sure the tape wrapped around the side of the flap. Then I used a thin flat brush to apply the first coat of paint. (Acrylic paint works best for this project). I let the first coat dry, and then added a second layer, then left it to dry. 


After it was dry to the touch (about 20 minutes) I peeled the tape back. The line was clean and the seeming on the clutch still peeked through (I happen to like the look of it). And, that's it! A quick color blocking diy to bring new interest to my yellow clutch. You could do this with so many accessories. I think someone needs to make a hot pink and bright green combo. I may need to thrift Denver for more clutches to make as gifts!

I am ready to accessorize with my new color blocked clutch and gifted necklace on a summer night about town!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.