5/30/12

Inspire me chalk board

Being a grown up can sometimes leave no time for the drawing that I still need to get out of my system. Although it is a goal of mine to draw and paint more, specifically for gifts and to put up in our home. Just as I like to make my house aesthetically appealing and eye catching, I can't ignore that other creative side of me that likes to delve into fine arts and putting pencil to paper. So, I thought, what not a better way than putting up a reusable canvas in my kitchen? There is a huge wall on the west side of our house that spans from the back door to the front door. All that takes up the space for now is a coat hanger, a hutch, and the kitchen bar that meets the wall, leaving the entire kitchen wall area bare to the bone. 


Phot Credit: Little Green Notebook
After seeing this mirror painted with chalkboard paint on the frame, I decided I need to make one similar, but instead I want to paint the actual mirror space and leave the frame, so that it is one big chalk board in my kitchen. (I see this as a place to draw, write recipes, leave love notes, a dinner party menu, etc.) One of my best friends did something similar in her dining room. She actually painted straight on the wall, if I remember correctly, then put of a cluster of mix matched vintage looking frames, with the middles missing.  It was so fun going to her house each time and seeing the lasting doodles that house guests had drawn with chalk. But, in a rental, painting the wall is a hard off limits to me.

Photo Credit: London Reid Blog

While at Home depot yesterday, I purchased a can of Chalk Board paint. Today I hope to come across the perfect piece to paint when I go to Goodwill and Ross. I would love to be instantly gratified and do this project asap. A chalk board project like this may not be that original, but I just love it, and that's all that matters. Can you tell I have an unecessary itch to get things up on my walls?

Fast forward to now. I have been to Ross and Goodwill and came home with some treasures. I almost came home with a skinny yet tall dresser that would have been the PERFECT steal, however, when I was loading it into my car and saw the spiders and egg sacks on the bottom, I quickly rolled that thing right back into Goodwill. Spiders were not the project I wanted for today. I did not quite find the items I was looking for during my bargain hunting. But let's be honest, how often does that happen? Its usually when you least expect to find the item that you find it. And patience is a virtue, I am learning. I did replan my chalk board project for now. I am going to do two separate projects and continue looking for that perfect mirror/frame/sheet metal combo to make a large chalkboard canvas. One of the many reasons I love bargain hunting, you can never plan on what new project or inspiration you will walk away with.
Air tight jars with cobalt lids: $2 a jar, Ross.
The plan: Mini chalk board labels on each.

Red tray with black floral pattern: $1.99, Goodwill.
The plan: Chalk board painted in the center with detail edge work (so I still have a place to doodle)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.