Something I realize is that although I love thrift stores, and finding treasures, not everyone does. So I often find myself asking the question, with no truly unbiased answer: Is it appropriate to give a gift that has been purchased second hand? Of course, with my very best friends, finding things thrifted can mean the satisfaction to an inside joke, that vintage flare that she loves so much, or something so silly it is worth the $2 just to wrap it up and put it under her Christmas tree. But for other friends, and relatives, the question of giving thrifted items remains a bit murky. I mean, you can't return it, the item has a prior life, and it may have collected dust. And even more in the grey, with hefty inclination for people to shake their head "no" is, what about gifting clothing items that have been purchased from a thrift store? (See, half of you are shaking your head no...)
To me, a treasure from a thrift store means thoughtfulness and the potential for one of a kind giving, but to another it may mean dirty, cheap, and old. Going into this holiday season, I have set a promise to myself that gifts will be intentional and frugal--mainly on sale, hand made, or bought second hand. But for the last of those three, I thought honest conversation on giving and receiving thrifted items might be one worth having. And hey, who knows, you may be one of the people I'm thrifting for.
On one more note, everything pictured in the above photograph? All thrifted at Goodwill this week. Even the scrabble letters. I know, I know, such potential to make fun word art! Does the above photograph change your mind on thrifted gifts?

I think if it's handmade or thrifted, with the person in mind, it could be even more special than something brand new. A wine glass for someone who enjoys fine wines, would probably love a special find. Or a vintage bracelet for that special person that just loves that kind of thing. Or perhaps a book on a topic of interest that , "you know who," would get a kick out of reading or looking at the pictures. Handmade is on my list this year with my jewelry making and I always love when I think about the person while I am working on the piece. Trying to picture it on them and thinking about their style and colors that they like. I am one who enjoys the uniqueness of a gift with the thought, not just about giving. The love and focus behind it is what makes it so special not just for the recipient, but perhaps more for the giver.
ReplyDeleteI love receiving homemade and/or thrifted gifts! Especially if the person giving the gift put some thought into it. My sister-in-law found an amazing vintage typewriter at a thrift store for a ridiculous price (I think it was about $3.00) and she bought it for me as a birthday gift. She knows how much I love old typewriters and, I have to say, it was probably my favorite birthday gift this year!
ReplyDeletei'm so glad you bring this up. i think about it every year during the christmas season (and also for birthdays!). as an avid thrifter who also earns some money doing so, i am around so many beautiful pre-owned objects that often would suit someone in my life perfectly. and many of these people i know are ok with it. i suppose it really depends on the relationship with the person. and, in my case, no one is really surprised when i gift them something from one of my many treasure hunts. since it's seen as a lifestyle choice for me (buying used versus new in my own personal life) people aren't offended when i extend that to them.
ReplyDeletei love thrifted! but i rarely give thrifted gifts because i really value gift giving and the hunt of giving the perfect gift. i would only give a thrifted gift to someone who i knew would love it - it i didn't know that then i wouldn't because i would hate to look stingy when my heart is to be generous. handmade is a different story because so much heart and time was put into it and vintage/ antiques are also different because they are rare and you have to hunt for those. i would stay away from the flannel shirt that i have to sew up a couple holes before i wear it because you can find a new flannel for a couple bucks more and it will last longer.
ReplyDeleteI agree. If the gift is thoughtful and so meant for that person, I think whether it is thrifted or new doesn't even truly matter if it is what you know that person will truly love.
ReplyDeleteI love the conversation that is popping up here. And I think your perspective is such a good one, from the other side of the fence, since you are in second hand all the time for your work. When you wrote "it depends on the relationship with the person"--you hit it right on. That is the most important factor in answering this question, is it not?
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, that typewriter, what a STEAL! See, your sister knew that you would like something thrifted--so it worked well! :)
ReplyDeleteWhen it really comes down to it, the person being gifted is at the core. Be ready for some thrifted/handmade gifts this year ;)
ReplyDeleteRight?! That's what I said! It was a steal and I figure if you can find something at a great price that totally fits the recipient's personality, who cares where it came from. I was always taught that it's the thought that counts and it warms my heart to know she thought of me when she saw it. :)
ReplyDelete