3/17/14

The Dining Room | Before

My life is no longer a pile of boxes. Furniture has made claims on walls and decor is slowly finding its way into permanent rooms. Upon moving in, the carpet was already recently redone and the walls repainted. Now, tans and browns aren't really my jive, but its livable for the time being. There is some major exterior work to do this summer, like jackhammer demo status, which means painting and interior projects are less of a priority. Although, the highest on my list right now? The dark brown wall in the dining room! I have convinced Matt to let me paint this space at least in the next month--because the adjacent living room is completely empty and that dark brown is so not my favorite. And that chandelier, oh boy, thats a redo (as are half the light fixtures in our home, spray paint and new hardware to the rescue!). But how I love that we don't have furniture in the living room. It makes for such a blank canvas. And the natural light that pours in from the South facing window in the dining room makes this my favorite morning spot. I've never had a dining room, and how wonderful it is to sit down for a meal somewhere other than a crammed kitchen. (Hence, why our little Ikea breakfast nook table is stretched to the max to accommodate more seating.) In the works for the dining room would be a DIY dining table, DIY chandelier, some handmade artwork, and a fresh coat of light grey walls. I've also considered doing beetle kill on one of the walls or white wash plywood planks (like this, but on a wall rather than the flooring). 

Dining Room Tour:
Honestly? I don't even really care if I have empty rooms and colors that clash my style. We have a house, a house, and that is over-joying to me. So empty rooms it is, we have a stinkin' house. :)

8 comments:

  1. So exciting! I've never heard of beetle kill but a white-washed wide plank wall sounds like it would be gorgeous; especially with all that natural light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha3/17/2014

    beautiful beautiful! I love your style! I really need to figure out what mine is and then find a way to fit it in to rooms in our apartment...but a house would be so much better for decorating :) maybe someday soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. so exciting! I love that space :) and can't wait to see how you make it your own (PS that armoir is perfection)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra Grimm3/19/2014

    I have the exact chandelier in our house that I plan to exchange very soon! I'm loving those kitchen chairs, where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lauren tien3/19/2014

    yes, the chandelier must go! the chairs are vintage, and i found them on craigslist. they used to be bubble gum pink so i painted them white :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lauren tien3/19/2014

    thanks beth! the armor was a garage sale find, believe it or not! and i looove it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lauren tien3/19/2014

    thank you sam :) when it comes to my style its so mix and match, so i appreciate that you see some cohesion there! and use, having a home has definitely helped me figure out where things go and how to arrange my style by room. you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lauren tien3/19/2014

    there is all this pine that was killed by over population of beetles, and the wood planks that they've started selling at hardware stores is a grey-ish blue hue to it (and its called beetle kill, obviously). but i think white wood planks would be more neutral, which i'm totally drawn to. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.