6/6/14

Dwell

photographs from our apt. in Burbank, CA

As we've been working on house projects, and the never ending list of exterior work, its been so important for me to remember how far we've come. Sometimes if feels overwhelming, and I sit and dwell on what I want to be prettier, or newer, or torn down and built up again. Some days I wake up wanting to drive straight to Lowe's for that paint color and spend the whole day painting every single wall. So realistic, I know. But I have to remember that having a home, living in a space that is more than just two rooms with one wall - having that is enough. Well really, just having any place to stay warm and safe at night is more than enough. So when I feel like we don't have the time (or the finances) to make our house look and feel like the rooms outfitted in Domino or LONNY, and I get discouraged - I remind myself that we've come so far from our first apartment in Northridge and the 1920s bungalow in Burbank. We have a home. As Matt likes to remind me, home ownership and projects are a marathon. So I'm choosing to dwell on that and take design and reno slow and steady.

What about you? Do you get caught up wanting instant gratification in your home, and the feeling of discouragement when it isn't picture perfect? How do you remind yourself to dwell on what you do have, rather than what you don't?

3 comments:

  1. Heather Disarro6/06/2014

    Oh girl, I feel that way all the time. We moved into our new, gorgeous house at the end of February and still only have a couple of things hanging on our walls. We are wanting to make sure we have the right pieces before putting holes in the freshly painted walls, but I'm ready for it to look like our home already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lauren tien6/11/2014

    Isn't it such a marathon? We put shades up in our master bedroom this past weekend, finally, and the entire time I was just reveling in the moment and enjoying the small step we've taken to making our home more us. It truly takes time. I am right there with you, wanting to wait to put things up on the walls until you know how you want it - but its hard sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lauren tien6/11/2014

    So well put. We are our worst critics. Our friends shouldn't care what our houses look like. If they do, then really there is a greater issue at hand, right? Warm in cozy is truly what a home should be like - no matter what furnishings there are - a place to gather and have community, and a warm place of refuge - that's the most important :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.