One of the things I love most about camping is the build up to a meal. Unlike the convenience of a kitchen, cooking over an open stove takes time and patience. Everyone takes their part in meal prep, and it is one big moment of togetherness, especially once you sit and eat around the fire. On this last camping trip the men won in the cooking department. Obviously our diet was not lacking in meat. Not one bit. For our hearty yet simple meals, we brought along brats, potatoes, and beans for dinner, then eggs, bacon, and sausage for breakfast. Snacks included apples, cherries and sunflower seeds. The other crucial element in camping (and breaking through that morning just as the sun starts to warm up your hands and feet again), COFFEE. Starbucks VIA breakfast blend was delicious. And for some other campers, adding crushed almonds and m&m's to their brew made it even sweeter.
Happy Camper Thrift Store Buys: Like you, I hate to wear and tear my nice kitchenware. That is why thrifting pots, pans, knives, and camping dinnerware is the best thing for a campout. All of our cookware was found at the Goodwill. And I cannot tell you how nice it is/was to not worry about the condition of these things as they knock about in our offroading ventures and sit on top of homemade open fire grill. Affordable, up-cycled, and perfect for the outdoor adventure. I highly recommend scoping out your thrift store before your next campout. You may even find the perfect board game to bring along!
Our neighbor Chris was brilliant in creating a grill in our fire pit. Using the grate from his grill back home, he used rocks on the side of the fire-pit to create a little run off grill from the main fire where the brats were cooked. It was so clever because then the fire was open for the big pan to be cooking up something, while the grill kept our meat cooking. Also, another brilliant moment was when a few other campers took warm rocks into their tents for extra heat as the night slipped to 30 degrees. Do you have any DIY camping favorites? We are going again possibly in two weeks, so share away, I'd love to know some ideas for next time!



FUN! Looks like a great time..and Oh my gosh! That food is looking so grub! I love camping..wonderful fresh post! Loved it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jen! I remember seeing your little toothbrush/toiletry washcloth holders that I may need to make for my next camping trip! And yes, isn't camping grub the best?
DeleteI remember when I was young and would stay with my sister and her family in Colorado, we would go camping. Her husband, Leo had made this portable trunk out of wood with a latch and a lock on it to store all of their implements for cooking, dishes, soap, salt, pepper, spices, silverware, dish soap/pan, Napkins, Tablecloth, etc.. In addition it had a lift out insert tray that he also made out of wood and you would set that on the table next to where you cook and eat. It had the little things like the salt, pepper, sugar, spices, silverware and they were easily accessible and portable. When all was done and cleaned up from a meal, close up the trunk and lock it. Everything is in it's place and ready to go when it's time to eat again!
ReplyDeleteThis might be a cool project for Matt!!!
That sounds like a great little project. Along with making tripod DIY stools I think I might need to add this to the list. I like that you can lock the box and keep the animals out of it. How clever :)
DeleteI like making hobo dinners you prepare them before you leave for camping you put your meat potatoes vegetables and wrap them in a ball of foil put them on the hot coals for 10 to15 min &. Wala Fast n easy, my favorite.
DeleteWhat a great weekend! I love your suggestions for buying used dishes/cookware for camping! And I love waking up to the chilly mountain air :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Beth! Yes, thriftstores are the best for outdoor knock about gear! That and garage sales and the REI used gear sale (have you ever been to one of those, the gear sale? You should, AMAZING steals!!)
Delete