Is it not the best when an unfortunate event turns into a wonderful mishap? In English class, a wonderful mishap would be an oxymoron, but when playing around with paint it can turn into the perfect accident.
When I was painting our barstools paint dripped onto the kitchen floor mat, and it was not cleanable by the time I noticed. Ooops! I hadn't jumped on the chevron bandwagon in any design sense, so to please Jonathan Adler I decided to seize the opportunity and give the paint dripping rug a chevron pattern. Since this diy chevron rug has been all over Pinterest for the past year, I don't need to give you the detail how to. So, here is it in a nutshell:
I used two colors of a sample BEHR paint, the same I used on the barstools. The photographs here don't really show it well, but in a certain light, you can see the differing shades on the chevron strips. The drips were a bit blotchy so I had to go with that texture throughout the painted areas--I was hesitant at first, but it has grown on me! I like imperfection :) (and it somewhat mimics the texture of the kitchen tile, don't you think?)
Shelby approves, and seems to always make it into my photos these days (oh, Instagram). And remember these hand painted tea towels? (Which we use all the time and have turned so soft almost a year later. LOVE them).
Pattern and print is so fun! Especially when its a DIY ;)




This is a great idea!! I love the photo of your pup on the mat :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Natalie! Shelby is my shadow, always right there when I'm taking photos of our house :)
DeleteI love it! The colors are perfect for your space :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Beth !
Delete