12/21/13

DIY Berry Red and Gold Anthropologie-Inspired Necklace

It's that time of year with lots of parties, gatherings, and reasons to sparkle. Last week, I shared this DIY over at Thoughts By Natalie--fitting as Natalie loves sequins and a pop of metallic, as do I! (Especially pairing gold with anything and everything this season). When I saw this necklace mixing berry red and gold at Anthropologie months ago, I couldn't shake the inspiration. And so, as many DIYs go, I set out to see if I could recreate the look for less, hoping to wear a handmade pop of shine this holiday season. (And if you don't fancy red, this necklace would be pretty in any color, really!) 

What You'll Need:
21-25 wooden beads (an even amount for the painted portion of the necklace + one unpainted bead as a fastener)
Waxed cotton thread, 20-30 inches in length
Red Acrylic Paint
Gold metallic acrylic paint, gold nail-polish, or a gold sharpie oil paint pen
Flat work surface and paper to protect it from paint mess
Paint brushes (a thin brush for the gold detailing)
Scissors

STEP EIGHT: To get the length of your necklace just so, before tying on your wooden bead closure, hold the necklace up to your neck and test it out for length. Pinch your pincers in the spot on the thread where you feel your wooden bead closure should be tied on. For reference, my necklace measures 22 inches long once complete with its closure. On one end, thread through the hole of your wooden bead closure and tie it off around and through with a square knot (or any knot that makes the bead feel secure and in place). On the other side of the thread, create a loop that is large enough for the bead to slip into. This is how your necklace fastens. Tie the loop in place. Try on the necklace to make sure it is the length you want before cutting off the excess cotton threading.
Pretty, right? Hey, maybe the perfect last minute gift idea for your mom, sister or friend ;)

1 comment:

  1. This is so festive and bold! I am in deep joy with this color and the ease of this DIY.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.