1/11/14

In This Little Pattern of Houses

Winter is definitely still winning, and although the cold is wearing, how refreshing it is to step outside and walk around my neighborhood. I realize I won't always live in this little pattern of houses, so its important to me to notice the subtle things that one might otherwise just pass by. Like the homes with old red brick, some revealing cracks, others covered in ivy, faded yet steadfast against the bitter cold winter and extreme heat of July. Or the trees with roots and a fullness that says they've been there longer than the families that live only meters away, grown to shelter the streets, provide shade in the summer, a fluttering of leaves and piles below come fall, and a stark silhouette against the setting winter sun. 
Its important to notice these things, and store up little anecdotes like how that one house always has that one dog, and how come night or day, rain or shine, he stands watch just waiting to stick his damp charcoal nose through the fence and let me know who's boss. Or how the bookstore down the way always has a Barbara Kingsolver title setting in its window display, reminding me of my favorite tales of family and daughters in her book The Poisonwood Bible, while also nudging me to finish my never-ending read of The Prodigal Summer. And how the alleyways are like little galleries, a collection of street art, or plant art, or patterns of burnt and ash against walls that have taken their stand on these Denver streets, through and through--seeing their fair share of trash, ferrel cats, and broken glass sparkling, scattered, reflecting the bright Colorado sun.
Its important to package it all up, so I don't forget. Its important so that I can remember to be thankful for these winter walks, in this little pattern of houses, on these days where the sun always seems to be two hours ahead--where I am chasing it, asking for one more hour, one more glimpse of warmth. Winter is still winning, and when I catch up to its setting sun, I see the beauty of its early slumber, the melancholy of the winter night sounds, and the hope that winter instills--of warmth, of growth, of Spring.

6 comments:

  1. Poisonwood Bible is my favorite book of all time. Also, your pictures are gorgeous! It looks like you live in a lovely neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meagan Day1/12/2014

    This is so cute, I'm inspired to do my own! I am so in love with that little library! Did you check anything out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ida Hatfield1/12/2014

    I felt like I was there with you while reading this. Thank you. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lauren tien1/13/2014

    Amanda, it is one of my favorites too. I'm considering re-reading it this year since its been over ten years since I read it! Thank you for the compliment, and to think these photos are all from my iPhone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lauren tien1/13/2014

    I didn't check anything out because I already have a stack of books next to my bed that is about to topple over. haha. But as soon as I conquer those, I will be taking some to the little mailbox library and swapping out for something new. Walking gives me total inspiration creatively, you should walk your neighborhood and just take everything in-i bet it would inspire your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lauren tien1/13/2014

    I'm glad you could be on the walk with me, in a sense :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.