1/6/14

My 2014 Goals (And the Luxury of Setting Them)

It's a luxury, really, to be able to set new goals and work towards pursuing them. I'm lucky enough to have time to create dreams and reach for them, and a support system around me, when it could very well be different--a different hand of cards that I could've been dealt, where priorities and pursuits need to be focused on survival and meeting basic needs, void of a net that catches me when I fall, and gives me a hand when I'm needing it. Because you know, there are women who don't get the things that I get, like that precious latte time at coffee shops where writing is all I think about, or going for a swim in a heated pool with time to focus on health, or the option of buying organic and local because I have the finances to. No, some women don't have that priveledge. And its so important that I remind myself of that as I sit and write goals, and align my life, because it really is a gift to be able to do so. How often setting goals can seem like a thing to check off my to-do list, when really, what a luxury it is that I can open my Mac Book, find time to edit photographs of beautiful places some people may never see, write about my ideas and dreams, and set new goals--whenever I want.  As you set your goals this year, or if you're reminding yourself of the one's you already have in motion, rather than only feel defeated if they're not yet achieved, or bolstered by the idea of a bright future; be sure to also dwell on the gift that dreaming and goal setting truly is. I know I will be nudging myself to do the same, as I pursue my goals below:

Conquer Fresh Air and Fourteeners
Colorado has provided the best playground. I want to continue running and walking through the parks that are all around in the city of Denver, but even more I want to really explore the mountains around us. Matt and I decided that we did a pretty pitiful job of camping and backpacking last summer, and as we're planing for this year, this is definitely one of our priorities: tackling a few fourteeners. There are SO many here in Colorado, and we love hiking, so this is definitely how we'll be spending our down time this summer (or rather, up-time, climbing to great heights!).

Read Often and Write More
To be a better writer, I need to read more. And to be a better thinker, I need to write more. 2013 was such a great year for me as far as stretching what I can do as a writer. But I know there is so much more in there that needs to come out and be refined. I can just feel it. And since I have about a mile high stack of books next to my side of the bed, it's a pretty honest reflection of my reading consistency. When my friend Anne remarked that she's read 27 books this past year, gosh I just thought "I want that!" I want to read more and read often. I want to travel the world from my couch, and go to far off places with a cup of tea right next to me. I want words to take me there. Whether its through reading, or writing, I want that to be my 2014.

Make for Time Away
Quality time is my love language. If I don't get it, I feel lonely or lacking in my relationships. For Matt and me, getting away is sometimes the best thing we can do--even if its just an hour at a coffee shop, a walk around our neighborhood, or a stop in to The Great Divide for a beer. Seriously, getting away is what helps my mind focus on him, and on us. Its amazing what a bit of time away really does for our marriage. How easy it becomes to get caught up in our own agendas when we are around each other at home, and not notice how long we've gone without quality time. This is a big one for me, and a total goal priority for life, not just 2014.

Buy Second Hand
I've talked about thrifting a lot on here, and it continues to be something I strive towards. I'm often tempted with the materialism of the world and wanting something new, shiny, and bright. But realistically, when I think about my footprint and the way that buying mentality can really impact my life, I want to become the thriftiest second hand shopper ever. I don't want to get into the patterns of needing something new. I'd rather that be saved as a novelty and make second hand shopping my go to. It will definitely be a challenge, but I am confident that it will only stretch me creatively (and stretch my pennies out a bit longer too!)

Make Pretty Things
A simple yet very true to me goal: to make things from scratch, and to make them for others. I want 2014 to be filled with little projects that brighten my home, or someone else's. Maybe this will be the year of the DIY.

Clean Out and Simplify
If it hasn't been worn or used in two years, it goes. I started by cleaning out the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, and have not even touched my clothing yet. But even just that small task made me feel ten pounds lighter. Its amazing how stuff weighs down our lives. 

Be Intentional in Friendships
God has been so faithful to provide friendships since moving to Colroado. This last year was definitely one of putting myself out there and meeting new people. Now since making these friends, and even with those that are like gold back in California, I really want my heart to be focused on intentionality in these relationships. I want community here in this town, I crave it, and that is only going to come if I am committing to pouring into those friends that I have, and taking risks to be vulnerable, honest, and true. That, and game nights always help ;) Another goal it to open our home more for gatherings and games--to host and stay true to being present over perfect in all things related to our friends. 

Savor the Morning
I've somewhat gotten into a funk where mornings are wasted. I sleep in and have a hard time getting going. I hate that, because mornings are something that I used to cherish. I used to revel in a 6 a.m. start where I had hours to myself before the workday began. I love being able to sip coffee and read or write first thing, or have the option to take Shelby out for a walk, or even get in some bright and early yoga. So that's it, I'm taking mornings back. If it means getting to bed earlier, or setting my alarm across the room with no option to press snooze--I am doing it. Savoring the morning won't be around forever. I am pretty sure when children are in the picture, the mornings won't be up to me any longer. So savoring the mornings in 2014 it is!

Have you realigned your goals for 2014? Do you feel like goal setting really is a luxury?

3 comments:

  1. Great goals! I love setting goals and making plans for the new year. Brian and I together are aiming for more discipline and simplicity in our lives, as well as a healthy dose of organization (which requires discipline and creates simplicity, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Goad Abode1/07/2014

    I so agree...it is a luxury to set goals :) Great goals, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lauren tien1/07/2014

    Thanks, Beth! Happy New Year to you! It feels like just yesterday you were blogging about the soon arrival of your daughter, and now I'm seeing all these photos where she is becoming a little person! Its so fun to see your journey into motherhood :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.