Blog Archive

8/5/12

The no mess no maintenance succulent.


It has been a sob story lately when it comes to the potted plants in our home. With the heat, nothing has been able to salvage the lovely ferns that were bringing a bit of  the outdoors in. I finally came to terms with their end, and threw them out. I loved those little ferns, but such is the circle of plant life. On a trip to Hobby Lobby (my first ever!) this past week, I stumbled upon some plastic greenery. I just jumped with glee at these faux succulents that I came across in the silk flower section. They looked real (but let's be honest, real succulents are somewhat shiny and fake looking to begin with, right?) so I bought two as well as a bag of black river rocks. I know, I know, why buy a fake succulent when the real plant itself is rather low maintenance? Here is my thought behind it all.  I want the option to repot  ferns, flowers, herbs and what not in these pots and also the freedom to change the arrangement of these faux succulents at my disposal (yes, I like to rearrange my decor quite often). Come Christmas, I may want to have my this lithe green faux succulent in a seasonal ceramic. I like to keep my options open, I do not have a green thumb, and for a low price and no maintenance warranty, these cute decor options are great for me {and quite possibly for you too!}.

Materials:
Pots/Bowls/Ceramics that fit your style
Rocks or another filler alternative
Faux Succulents

With my smaller succulent, I used a little bowl and a handful of river rocks to hold it in place.
With my larger pot, I did not have enough rocks to fill the entire pot. The top is all that is visible to the eye, so I left the remaining soil from the potted fern as a base layer, then filled the top layer with river rocks to anchor the succulent in place. {Like so}:
I will definitely consider the faux flower and plant option as an alternative when needing low maintenance plant decor. I never gave plastic greenery a chance before, and this little DIY totally changed me. I think they turned out darling. The larger is on our coffee table and the smaller in the bathroom. When face timing with my mom yesterday, she thought they were the real deal! For a complete do it yourself fix, HERE is a cute idea for making your own mini clay pots from the ladies over at Carfternoon Delight. What are your feelings on faux plants? Does your green thumb tremble at the thought or delight with glee?

*Since I am not a robot, I do make silly spelling errors on edited photos, hence the word "succulant" which should be spelled "succulent" in the title photo. ;)

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/06/2012

    I love the idea as my green thumb is not so good either--maybe because I don't water them consistently or talk to them enough. Who knows? These really do look real! Very nice shelf arrangement with candle and the wooden plaque, too. I feel like re-arranging the shelves today and making room for a new plant! Hmmm. Which room first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon- Thanks! I hope your rearranging went wonderfully! To our aspiring thumbs- may they one day be green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute, Lauren! Don't you just live Hobby Lobby? That store gets me into trouble!

    I received the button art today. I just love it. I was I'mpressed at the time you took to wrap it and leave a lovely note. My boyfriend even though it was cool! Thank you so much! I'm very glad that I've met you and your blog. :). Have a great weekend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren!
    Thanks for sharing this on Marvelous Mondays! I will be featuring this on my blog this weekend. Please be sure to stop by to view the post and grab the featured button, if you want to. :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So exciting! Thanks Julie! I hope your readers enjoy this post and this little blog of mine ;)

      Delete
  5. Great idea! I've recently resorted to faux succulents, too! Thanks for sharing this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! And you are welcome! I am still just loving the little fakies :)

      Delete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.