Blog Archive

7/12/12

Guest Post: {Thoughts by Natalie}'s bits for a spa like bathroom.

(I've been a reader of Natalie's blog for some time now. And lucky for us, she hopped on board with sharing some of her personal design aesthetic here at Pearls Poppies Pinkies Up! Enjoy!)

In her words:
When Lauren asked me to share about my favorite design element in my home, I immediately thought of my bathroom--though that wouldn't always have been the case. After my husband and I took an anniversary trip to Las Vegas this year, I felt so inspired by the relaxing and soothing vibe from the spa that I came home determined to redesign the bathroom to feel the same.
To me, a spa-like feel required these essentials: light fragrance, fluffy towels, pretty containers and soothing artwork. Immediately upon returning from our trip, I drove to Target in search of those very things. By the time I was finished with my shopping and decorating, these items filled my new spa-like bathroom:

Scented reed diffuser. This is remarkably effective in the fragrance department. I have always been a candle girl, but of course that’s not really a practical way to keep a room smelling nice because it requires some supervision. Thus, a diffuser. It’s not overpowering, and it also adds a nice design aesthetic to the shelving.


Woven baskets. Nothing robs you of relaxation quite like clutter. These baskets help me keep things like toilet paper and extra towels out of sight, while also acting as a form of artwork themselves.

Black and white art. The three square canvases with black and white photography I found in the art aisle at Target have added so much to the whole feel of the bathroom. The images themselves are of rocks and water, which evoke a lot of peace for me and add to the spa feeling.

Hanging magazine rack. One of my favorite things about the spa is the waiting room before your treatment--you know, the one where they have flavored water, free healthy snacks and unlimited amounts of magazines to read while you wait. After all, who has time to read a magazine unless they are, in fact, relaxing? I keep the rack stocked with current issues of positive magazines, including Whole Living, Real Simple and the J.Crew Catalog :)


Eucalyptus oil. Though not shown in the photos, I swear by having Eucalyptus oil in the shower. I just sprinkle a few drops on the shower floor before I rinse out my conditioner, and the whole room smells like a sauna. So refreshing and energizing!


Natalie Lynn Borton is a lover of the written word, avocados, and her hilarious and charming husband Brian. She seeks to inspire and empower women to live healthy, confident lives of true beauty in all that she does, especially through her work as Director of Marketing for Wonderfully Made and Online Editor at Darling Magazine. You can find her blogging at Thoughts by Natalie of follow her on Twitter at @natalieborton


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the spa like ideas for the bathroom and I too like avocados!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the diffuser idea...must pick some up! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.