7/22/13

Notes from a Swimmer

There was never a time in my life when I wasn't a swimmer. Without the pool, half of my childhood memories, if not more, would be gone. I am a swimmer. Through and through. And although competing stopped for me before I headed off to college, time spent in the water is where I still find myself whenever I'm feeling a little bit lost. It's where I find myself when I feel I need to get back to the core of who I am. Swimming is where I find my peace, my strength, and my clarity. Do you have a place like that? 









Years ago I made a decision to stop competing. It was a time in my life when I was truly compelled to think about two things: Live my life for God or live my life for the pool? When I made that decision, I was learning how to live my life for Jesus, and I was learning so much about myself as a young adult, and at that time I had to choose one. Not to say that I couldn't have done both fully, but at the age of 17, I felt the need to choose one an focus on that. You see, I was new to this thing called having a personal relationship with God. And so, I made the choice to go off into the wild blue yonder of my college years without swimming--because I wanted, for the first time in my life, to explore ministry and a life different than the one I was so accustomed to-- with 4 a.m. swim practices, meets every weekend, and the cycle of "swim, eat, study, sleep, and repeat." But I wonder sometimes where I'd be if I hadn't made that choice. Where would I be if I chose to swim into my college years? Do you ever get caught up in the "what if's" when thinking about a decision you made? 

I am multi faceted. I am a wife, a daughter, an educator, a writer, a blogger, an artist, a decorator, a dog rescuer, a friend. And yet always, I am a swimmer. Through and through, this is my core. So every now and again, there may be some notes from me-- a swimmer--in this space where all my hats can be worn. :)

2 comments:

  1. Ida Hatfield7/22/2013

    I had a similar experience with dance. Having danced ... Ballet, jazz, etc. since age 7. But I am a dancer through and through and still live it and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy Casey7/22/2013

    I remember that swim suit in the top pictures! Love that part in the movie "Chariots of Fire" when Eric Liddell says "and when I run I feel His pleasure". Swim on, Lauren! love you.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.