7/5/13

What's the trouble with slowing down?

Yesterday I woke up feeling a little bit like this pup. But adamant I was, because it was July 4th, and we had all these fun things planned, therefore I wouldn't be defeated (my pride most definitely getting in the way). We even made a trip to Bonnie Brae Icecream, because how can you feel sick with a summer cold when eating a delicious scoop of old fashioned toffee melt in your mouth goodness? 

Today, I am paying for it--summer bug in full force. And it is a definite a lesson learned. Matt has full rights to say to me "I told you so" as he all day yesterday told me I need to just crawl back in bed. But I would not have it. I do this a lot, not allowing myself to slow down and stay in bed all day if that's what I need. I tend to feel guilty if I'm not "productive" or not making things happen. This even is true when I am completely well, without a summer cold, and just want to do some reading. I have difficulty sitting and reading a book for large parts of my day without feeling guilty that I am being the complete opposite of productive. Do you ever do this? 

I've set this goal for myself, time and time again, to slow down. But what have I mindfully done this week, this month, to really take time to slow down if I need it, without feeling guilty? I can't even fully answer that question myself, so I am heading off into this weekend with the mindset of rest taking the lead and the goal to finish a few books that have been collecting dust just waiting to be opened again. 

photo via modernhepburn

4 comments:

  1. Brooke Roper7/05/2013

    Good for you for making the decision to rest up this weekend and recuperate. You deserve that decision...you are worthy of rest and relaxation and reading. Honestly, I do this too...all the time. The "guilt" I feel over the whole "I should be doing something" takes over and it drives me to keep going, going, going. And just last night, I prayed to have help to say when enough is enough for me. I am tired. I overbook myself daily. I can't stop saying yes to things...but, your post inspired me. i know I say I will slow down...but, I never do. I need to slow down. I have a huge dream to decide whether to pursue and that thought process is taking alot of energy from me. I will rest this weekend too. Look at it like the rest will help propel you forward when you are back on your feet. Feel better! B =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lauren tien7/05/2013

    Rest up, too Brooke! I look forward to hearing how you mindfully are slowing down and how your weekend went. Here's to a long morning, meaningful bookworming, and feeling refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ida Hatfield7/10/2013

    Slowing down has been hard for me too. Having a major surgery a month ago has forced me to do so. I have grown to appreciate just being home...watching the birds learn to leave the nest and fly. This is causing me to reflect on what do I want to do in my next chapter of life....thinking and wondering about some possibilities...is the first step. If I weren't in this situation I wouldn't have this opportunity. Good things can happen from being still......

    ReplyDelete
  4. lauren tien7/10/2013

    Good things CAN happen from being still. You are so right. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.