Blog Archive

5/21/13

Dear Future 80 Year Old Me

I am writing today as part of the Love Yourself Linkup--an ongoing series that will focus on topics such as self image and body image. Writers, bloggers, and women alike will talk about our thoughts on these subjects, tell stories of our personal experience, share what has inspired us, challenged us, and more. Learn more over at Ann the Adventurer. You can read my thoughts from the past weeks here and here. 

With wrinkle ointments, botox, plastic surgery, and a world that very much cringes at the thought of inevitable aging, it is crucial to plunge in against this group think rip current, swim upstream, and embrace the beauty of being older. We must internalize that with each wrinkle, each freckle, each grey hair, that we are even more beautiful from the inside out. As woman, we must focus on our character as the true source of beauty--choosing beauty over vanity. Below is a letter I wrote last year to a future 80 year old me. I hope it encourages you to reflect on what an older you would want to hear from herself, and what you would want an older you to instill in her heart about beauty. And perhaps, you too, will want to write to a future you.

Dear older me,

Your years have made you wiser, with a  wise soul that is discerning. 
Discernment has made your speech sweet like a honeycomb, with gracious words that are sweetness to the soul. Your words carry like a tune throughout your your family. Your young, their young, and generations after. May your words and their words be ever filled with harmonies of kindness.  

Your years have caused wear on your face, your hands, your heart. Wrinkles of joy from laughing and kisses from the sun. Rough hands from the work and love you have poured out through touch, and craft, and thoughtfulness. From a lamp that never goes out. A worn in heart secure in what you know is rock, and what you know is passing like the wind.

Your years have made you lovelier. The way you sip your tea, relish in frienships, and still wear pearls, just because. More precious than the jewels that adorn you, your beloved trusts in you, and has no lack of gain. Your years have made you independent and strong. Continue to dress yourself with strength and dignity, and laugh at the time to come.

Your years have made you fear the Lord. Love the Lord. Know the Lord.

Your years have made you just the way you are.

Embrace it, every bit. And know I am learning how to be more like you.

Love,
A younger you



Beautiful Woman Photo via Lee Jeffries | Portions of this letter referenced from Proverbs 29 & 31, ESV

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful words, Lauren! I love the way you incorporated paraphrasing of Proverbs 31 into the letter. So clever, and a wonderful reminder that we will only get lovelier with time when we choose to invest in real beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place I am reminded most of what real beauty is all about is in scripture. Thanks, Natalie :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea! There is a website called Future Me where you can write a letter to your future self and then choose the date for it to send it to you. I wrote one to myself before I got married and had it send it to me a few weeks after the wedding. Such a great concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I will have to go check that site out. I wonder what they do if you want to send it to yourself in 50 years. Maybe I should just bury a time capsule. I love that you have actually sent yourself a letter like that, Anne!

      Delete
  3. Lauren, I absolutely love this post! The beautiful photo made me smile(isn't that woman gorgeous?), your words are so lovely and poetic, and I'm totally inspired by the concept. I think I'll definitely need to write a letter to my future self after reading this.

    Your words bring great Truth, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather!

      And I agree.That woman is truly breathtaking. I love how you can tell she is a thinker, and the way her expression shows such personality. How beautiful it is to age--(there is a different glow and sparkle in the eye, don't you think?) I am so happy you feel inspired to write. :)

      Delete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.