9/22/13

Words For Thought, From Francis Chan

I was first introduced to Francis Chan at our home church in California. He was the pastor there, and shortly after Matt and I got plugged in, he moved to San Francisco. As a pastor, he always made the Word so applicable to how life as a Christian should be lived out. I always left feeling challenged to live a bit more uncomfortably in the name of Jesus. Francis brought perspective to who our God really is in a way that helped me grasp greater understanding specifically living in a city--you should listen to his podcasts or check out a book he wrote if you are looking for something new. Something I have been dwelling on lately are words from his book Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God. He writes, 
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” 
Pretty spot on, isn't he? So if you, like me, often weigh your failures against your successes, stop and ask yourself -- what are those failures and successes in the context of what really matters? How are you measuring them? I think if we ask ourselves these questions more often, there would be a lot more good in our realtionships and in our communities, a lot less pride in our hearts, and a new perspective on failure and success entirely --don't you?

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Crazy Love is on my list of favorites, one of those that you can just read over and over again!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.