4/8/13

Peruvian Textiles


One thing I will always regret: passing up the opportunity to buy a large textile on our travels to Peru this past winter. My suitcase space was limited, as it always is at the end of travels-- and although I did bring home a scarf made from hand dyed alpaca wool and two very unique textile headwraps, a little piece of my heart sighs every time I see Peruvian textiles in home design. Yes, *sigh*. How I would have loved to bring a patterned rug, throw, or even a piece large enough for a wall hanging back home with me. C'este la vie! I suppose a trip back to Machu Pichu will have to happen again. The artisan markets were heaven by the way. I could spend a whole months worth of a trip purely hiking Inca ruins and digging through textiles (you can read more about that trip at Darling Magazine online- HERE).



My favorite part about the textiles I came accross in Peru were the impoerfections. Especially at the Sacred Valley markets, there were little pieces of yard poking out, knots, and unevenness in the thickness of the wool. They felt so rural, raw, and organic. Beautiful and one of a kind. Many of the markets in the touristy spots were noticebly streamline with their textiles, and it was obvious many, although still stunning, were factory made. Something about the flaws and imperfections in the textiles found at the tiny markets and in the valley, drew me in. The textiles reflect the artist, in a way. Flawed yet still beautiful. 


Textiles in symmmetrical patterns and textiles even a bit all over the place in their design--versatile art that can be on the floor, on the couch, and displayed on a wall-- what's not to love? There was this stunning wall hanging at one of the places we lunched at in Peru. Take note, it is seriously breathtaking against that cobalt. See how I am SO regretting not bringing a textile back with me? Friends, I would have just melted if I could do a version of this in a living space:


And on a cuteness note, Peruvian markets are proven to have lambs, baby llamas, and darling little girls dressed in their alpaca booties and textile bonnets and skirts. Another thing I regret: not sneaking this little lamb away with me. (And who is not right there with that dog? Relax at a market all day? What a life!)


If you are more partial to neutrals and subtle colors--the wear and natural sun fading of the alpaca wool is so appealing. You can start off with a rug so bright with pinks, reds, and oranges bolder than poppies in spring, yet overtime the sun does its work and a worn in look becomes the rugs destiny. How pretty a space is with this gradual change. I even saw some very old looking textiles with this exact worn in feel at the markets. (Do you think the Peruvian ladies had them in their homes and then decided it was time to second hand them?) 


It is a possible just confirmed snow day tomorrow (hurray!), and thinking about Peru and all these warm textiles takes me to a sunny and summer minded place. What happened to it being 70 degrees and sunscreen required just one day ago? There's Spring in Colorado for ya! Hope your Monday has been lovely!

Image Credits: Pinterest // Citizens of Humanity PR showroom // bauhaus textiles // my camera // &  RUM June 2010

5 comments:

  1. Your use of traditional textiles in your home design is lovely. I know textile buying in country is a travel highlight but as you mention we sometimes run out of room in our bags. At ClothRoads we do specialize in traditional, handwoven textiles from all over the world. All work is done by true artisans and helps sustain their families. We have large pieces from the Center for Traditional Textiles Cusco and would be happy to send you some pictures if you don't find something on the website. Have a peek. www.clothroads.com. Linda Stark, Partner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, you Linda. I will definitely have to take a peek at those textiles. I love that your company supports local artisans and through that they can sustain their livelihood and take care of their families!

      Delete
  2. I was googling Peruvian textiles and I just came upon your blog! I will be traveling to Peru the beginning of May and just wanted to start planning some of the items I can buy. I know all of the textiles are rich in texture and colors, and I am also limited on bag space! So I am not totally sure what I bring home, but I do know that I do not want to regret anything. It's like going to a mall and never being able to go back again and purchase that 1 piece you really really want. I know once I leave, my purchases are final and there's no going back. I love love the orange and yellow rug with geometric patterns. If I can fit a small enough rug, or piece I can hang on my wall, I am so going to bring that back with me! I want something practical that I can see everyday and say that I am proud I own something that was made in Peru. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lauren tien4/21/2014

    How wonderful that you get to travel there! Are you going to Machu Pichu as well? The Sacred Valley is bursting with little artisan markets. I definitely regret not bringing back a bigger piece of textile, so yes, if you find something you love be sure to get it if you can! Ah, this talk about Peru just makes me want to go back so badly! Have a great trip Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much. No unfortunately I won't be traveling to Machu Pichu. I didn't even know it existed and was actually located in Peru until I started googling pictures and saw how beautiful it was. I already know I will have to plan a trip back because it looks so beautiful. I will be landing in Lima and then traveling to Chiclayo and Puira (both Northern of Lima) on the coast. I was told we will be visiting a few markets along our route, so I will for sure be on the lookout for pretty textiles and leather good to bring back home. My family will love the souvenirs. When I return I will have to post tons of pictures! Now I am just getting my packing list in order and deciding on meds/food to bring! SO much to do in so little time but I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.