After leaving our 1930's town home in Burbank (which had the smallest closets ever) I thought I'd be moving on from teeny tiny storage space. I clearly thought wrong. And I should probably just get that out of my head, because we tend to like older homes. And older homes mean small closets.
Even though right now our Denver duplex is just a rental (ever wondered why our walls are all painted tan--one word, RENTAL) small closet space is the least of my concerns when we do one day do look for a home to call our own. I am always up for the challenge to organize. And I am always up for the challenge to clean out, purge, and simplify--making storage space less of a priority. (Remember a few weeks ago when I purged 7 dresses?) Thankfully, Colorado homes have basements--I cannot wait to get my hands on one some day--and garage space is abundant, so storage for camping gear, tools, diy materials, and thrifted furniture (yes....I may have a problem?) gladly can find refuge.
In case you were wondering, this closet is shared by myself and Matt. Yes, AND Matt. Notice in the first photograph the tiny sliver of men's wear on the very right side of the closet. He is a minimalist.
One way I've conqured the small closet is through vertical storage. With limited side to side space, all you can do is work up and down. Off season clothing is folded and stored neatly in containers up top, belts are hanging from hooks, and stacking drawers keep clothing that is used less frequently (what is not stored in the bedroom dresser) along with winter scarves and hats. I use the brass sheet jewelry hanger in the closet to keep dangly earrings and long necklaces as well.
Back of the door shoe hangers are the best for small closet woes. It keeps me in check with the amount of shoes I own too (eek, there are lots!). Our second bedroom closet, where we store office necessities, linens, and winter coats, also has a shoe hanger. Along with Matt's shoes (a lot less than me!) a large portion of the storage hanger stores art supplies!





No comments:
Post a Comment
I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.