6/6/13

Kitchen Facial DIY


There is something so endearing about making products the old fashioned way. Before the age of Sephora, lightyears before it seems, women did have to make their own products--for all household needs. I love the thought of regressing, and simplifying what we use daily, don't you?


I have been making lists of beauty products to whip up from scratch once I run out of my current supply. I am still feeling this overwhelming urge to live more simply. This is one of those ways I am taking baby steps. I seriously have no idea if the DIY beauty products will be a success, but the thought of making my own shampoo, conditioner and other daily used products is really wonderful in theory, isn't it? And with my temperamental skin, face products could be either a complete mess, or in another sense just perfect because of the simple and gentle ingredients.



When my Aveeno Exfoliating Face Wash ran out, obviously a reason to try my first DIY came about. Living in Colorado, the air is SO dry. I cannot even explain it. I don't sweat, like EVER. (And I was, believe me, a hot sweaty mess when going on runs in California two weeks ago). Because of the weather, exfoliating is necessary, even more so in the winter, but still necessary in summer, with the crazy dry air. 

Disclaimer: I've never made a DIY beauty product. I am not a chemist who is suited to come up with my own recipes. I am resourceful, though, and have been reading up on recipes and ways to go simpler and greener (like these homemade lotion bars and lip balm). I am hoping I stumble across a beauty or home cleaning recipe that calls for something from my garden. Lavender maybe? 

I came across this simple DIY to use baking soda to exfoliate your skin. A gentle powder that is natural and a miracle worker, around for centuries and the queen bee in household DIY. Its been ten hours since I made my own kitchen facial and exfoliated with my baking soda paste, and my skin feels soft and smooth. Typically my skin gets red and irritated after washing with most products, and I can gladly say this paste was so gentle my skin stayed calm (and collected, too).


How to: Add a few drops of water to 1 tbsp baking soda in a small bowl. Add just enough water to get a paste like consistency.  After cleansing your face, apply the paste to your damp skin, rubbing in small circles with your fingertips on your forehead, cheeks, chin, nose, lips--basically all over but avoiding your eyes. Do this for a few minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Pat your face dry and use a toner or apply moisturizer following your scrub. I did not have toner, so I just used CeraVe moisturizer with spf. 


Have you made beauty products from scratch? I think I may need to try a homemade Green Tea toner next. Happy Exfoliating!


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/06/2013

    Hello, Neat post. There is an issue along with
    your website in web explorer, may test this? IE still is
    the market leader and a good part of other people will miss your wonderful writing because of this problem.


    Here is my website; Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  2. dotinthecity6/07/2013

    I love at home facials, but rarely do them. I need to pin this and try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I'm so excited I found yours!! Your blog is beautiful!!

    Ashley from http://theheartofashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. lauren tien6/07/2013

    Of course, Ashley! And thank you for the compliment. I look forward to your next love yourself linkup post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lauren tien6/07/2013

    You better try it! Only on ingredient, girl! Maybe you need a little pamper time since you're going to be a busy mama so soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.