6/18/13

My Heart & My Career | Love Yourself Linkup



As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it...


About two month ago, I decided to work part time. I had a pulling on my heart since November, that I continued to ignore for months. Until finally, after the strings were tugged and pulled and my internal dialogue couldn't stay inside any longer-- I told someone about it. I told Matt. I told my mom. I told my boss, and her boss. I took a giant leap to say I know something isn't right, I am not fulfilled in my day to day, there is a part of my inner workings that does not feel complete. 

I took a leap to say that perhaps the career path I chose is not the one for me. That perhaps I need to start from square one and discover a new field. At age 27, after being a straight arrow zooming through school, four years of college studying Child Development and Psychology, and landing right into a job just one week after graduating--with the company I'd call my second family for five years now; I realized that maybe I zoomed a bit too quickly without stopping to listen to my heart along the way. The field that was perfect for me in my young twenties may not be that for me any longer. And for me, to realize this, took strength.

Strength because as soon as I spoke the words, questions shot right back in attempts to make me waiver, stumble, and deny my heart. To realize this, and tell someone about it? When I've always had my eggs neatly in a row? When I've worked so hard to get where I am at? When I've always been the one to do so well and never stray? When I don't have the answer for what I'll do next? When the image of "part-time" seems like the easy road out? When finances become an issue? When everyone else seems to have their career figured out? When, this, if, that?

Fast forward to now. Two months after I've moved to working part-time, so that I can explore my other passions and take the time to listen to my heart. I cannot say that doubts do not pop up or that I don't ask myself what are you doing? when others seem puzzled by my choice. In the world we live in, it becomes second nature to believe that at 27 I have to have my career figured out. That I have to know my five year plan. Well, I don't. But I do know that I am loving myself more now than I ever have. I can say that my heart feels more clearly listened to, exponentially so. I am looking at design, writing, and ministry as options to pursue. And it is exciting. Yet honestly, I feel so new to this type of thinking. To pursue my hobbies and my inner workings as a career path? To patiently seek out God's plan for me? (To even think that I overlooked both these things).

Matt often reminds me that I still have 30 years, if not more, of working days ahead. With that perspective, I want to choose what is absolutely right for me. This little bend in my otherwise straight arrow is but a freckle in my career path. As Bob Dylan said, "A man (or woman) is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -- so why not  take a risk and do it?
.   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   

I am writing today as part of the Love Yourself Linkup--an ongoing series that will focus on topics such as self worth and body image. A community of woman will talk about our thoughts on these subjects, tell stories of our personal experience, share what has inspired us, challenged us, and more. Learn more over at Ann the Adventurer. You can read my thoughts from the past weeks where I've shared about anxietytrue beauty, gossip, and writing to an 80 year old me. If you have a story to tell, and want to be a part of the link up, join the conversation by writing and clicking to enter it below.


8 comments:

  1. Brooke Roper6/18/2013

    Lauren,

    This has totally resonated with me. I'm a newbie posting to the love yourself link up and I want you to know that right now, these same questions are tugging at my heart. The same career I thought was wonderful six years ago, has totally not been something I'm excited about anymore. I've taken time away...and I come back to the same feeling. And its hard when you have responsibilities (house, car, bills, etc)....the fears overwhelm, the thoughts keep me awake at night. But, I'm not living. I'm just existing. I am praying for you and for your journey to discover what it is that keeps you excited. I thought I was alone in this feeling...that everyone else has it together and I'm the one falling apart. You're not alone. I'm glad I posted behind you today....I'm glad I met you and I'll be praying/following your journey!

    Best, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina Kwan6/18/2013

    I'm experiencing the exact same thing. And some days are much crazier than others. Some days I want to punch myself in the face for not having health insurance, not having a fuller bank account, not being able to have as many drinks as my friends, etc. But just like you - I love myself now more than ever. I think we often forget that we "work to live" and we don't "live to work". Living life in a true and meaningful way is so much more important than just making money. While it does make the world go round, money shouldn't control our passions and our goals. I'm happy for you and hope you keep searching for more things that will nurture your heart and soul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brave thing to do, Lauren! I did something similar late last year/early this year, and also got a lot of questions and (somewhat unwanted) feedback about how I've always done so well, why would I leave something so stable? I'm so glad that you're finding a way to be happy. Proud of you! (and I'm wondering how vaca went after our conversation last week?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with this, Christina! While we do have responsibilities in life, money should never control our passions and goals. Such an easy trap to slip into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you here, Brooke! And that you're finding community and resonating with others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lauren tien6/19/2013

    Anne, vacation in regards to being in a swimsuit and not dwelling on body image was better than I could have thought. One part may have been it was blazing saddles, SO being in a swimsuit brought sweet relief in the humid hot weather. I can't even believe how little I thought about my body--I really did not even catch myself comparing what I looked like to the other girl friends on the trip--we were just all so enamored by how awesome being together in Sayulita was, and so busy body surfing, paddle boarding, playing volleyball, and scoping out the best tacos that my mind was too busy with all these better thoughts. It was a very active vacation, and so i part, I was thankful to have a strong and active body, even if that meant I am not a petite build--but rather athletic and able to keep up on an active trip like this one was. Rather than dwelling on "how do I look in the swimsuit?" I had more thoughts like "which swimsuit will stay secure when I swim out to that buoy or body surf?" There was a total switch in my mind set :)


    I was even telling Matt, my husband, that I thrive on vacation. I am a better version of myself. I'm processing why this is exactly, and what it is about travel that makes anxiety and vainity go to the wayside. I will definitely share about this once I wrap my mind around it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lauren tien6/19/2013

    Thank you Christina! I am so glad you could relate to what I am going through, and the blessing yet trial that it can be. Its funny how often "the arts" is not taken as a serious job when first starting out. When I tell others that I am pursuing my love for design, taking time writing and building up my portfolio, yet this is not what my schooling/degree is in, sometimes I am fronted with "well, how are you going to do this?" I have to remind myself that my degree does not define me. That there are 27 years of cultivation in my heart and soul that trumps all courses and grades-- the core of who I am and what I love should help me define what my work is, and not the other way around :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's AMAZING! I know what you mean about thriving on vacation. I feel the same way. I'll be interested to read your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.