6/21/13

Girl Shops Globe


It goes without saying that one of my favorite parts of travel are the markets and shops. When we were in Peru, it was the textiles; in Buenos Aires, the shoes and antiques. Did any of you ever see the show Man Shops Globe on the Sundance Channel? It chronicles Keith Johnson doing, what I might consider, my dream job: searching for the most unique and beautiful objects and decor for Anthropologie. It was always a tricky show to catch when it was airing--but you can watch the episodes online now at Sundance.com. Anyways, Man Shops Globe follows Johnson, who travels six months of the year, to ends-of-the-earth excursions, from flea markets in Paris to remote villages in India to obscure art studios in Turkey. Did I mention dream job? When I travel I always think of that show and what Keith would say--would it make the cut and take the trip back? I try to only bring back items from my travels that I couldn't find elsewhere, that are part of the culture or folklore art, and/or just tickle my design fancy.


Our trip to Puerto Vallarta and Sayulita, Mexico hinged more on ocean leisure and adventures with  our friends, not so much shops and markets--but I did manage to grab a few little things that are reminiscent of the town and our visit. The green headband was in a little handmade shop. It is really just a long piece of hand woven textile. I loved the color combinations, and thought it could also be cute wrapped around as a belt with a high waisted skirt. 
These lightweight towels were all over Sayulita. Matt and I forgot to bring beach towels, and we ended up buying these at a little market for $8 each. I may have officially switched over from heavy beach towels to these soft and airy ones. They are almost like Turkish Towels (love this little round up by Apartment Therapy), but a bit more like linen. We used them as big beach blankets to sit on, and I wrapped mine as a cover up too!

At the tile shop I showed you yesterday, I picked out a few small brightly painted pieces, that I am treating more as art work. I plan to frame the folkloric "La Catrina". I love the traditional hand-painting on these tiles. It's a hobby of mine to collect postcards anywhere we travel. There is this album that I keep them in with space to write little stories and fun moments I want to remember from our trip. I found a box of beautiful hand-painted postcards in Sayulita, and decided on this red one depicting the mother and child.  Isn't it so pretty? I actually may frame it, I like that much. And the spoon rest, a replacement for the one we got on our honeymoon which is now in pieces, because ceramics break and life happens when you are cooking away sometimes. Happy weekend, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.