8/26/13

Chartreuse Cups & Ampersands

Chartreuse is a color I just love right now. It compliments the other hues that are dispersed around my house perfectly-its a crowd pleaser really as its guy/girl friendly. After making the E A T kitchen sign with chartreuse craft paint a few weeks back, I came up with a few more little projects to use it up and bring more chartreuse pretty into the world.
Thrift stores have seen me A LOT this week, which is always a good thing, while I've been on the hunt for pretty glassware and teacups (more on that later), and when I saw this little vintage jar, and its outer texture, I knew that for 25 cents it was worth it. Worth transforming. Worth chartreusing. Worth becoming a vintage modern pencil holder. 

Jenny had transformed some desk accessories, and I wanted to just the same after seeing her cute nook. She gets all the credit for the idea. And it just so happens I had chartreuse paint just like her. Fancy that. You don't need to rewrite the book, right? I think its a brilliantly inexpensive way to make desk trinkets in the colors that you so desire. To get the thick coated look, I squirted enough paint into the cup so that I could move the cup around and get total coverage, I then used a paint brush to bring the paint up to the top edge. The paint puddled at the bottom, but that's okay, its worth waiting a day or so for it to completely dry to get that very opaque paint look.

Because there was excess paint in the bottom of the cup, I used it for a painting project! I cannot wait to show you the end result, and what the beginnings of this ampersand has become. Eeeee! So stay tuned for that, it'll be worth it :) (And its no secret that I look up fonts on google search ).
Now our little secretary desk has a pretty chartreuse pop. This desk was my grandmothers, and I never intend on changing the original vintage state, so adding bits of color with accessories is a way to make the perfect desk nook a little more bright and cheery. This space is Matt's zone, and I just swoop in to use its contents--but can we just pause a moment and give props to the inventor of the secretary desk? Talk about brilliant design and perfect for quickly hiding clutter!
How cute would it be to make pencil holders like this, filled with fresh sharpies, pencils, and cute pens with a ribbon around the cup as a teacher gift? I know, right?!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you! Such the creative. I'm loving these DIY ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dotinthecity8/27/2013

    I love chartreuse! and that glass is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lauren tien8/27/2013

    It's such a good color! It compliments other hues so well, and I love that its kind of vintage yet still a modern color. Isn't the glass so pretty? Seriously, thrifting is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lauren tien8/27/2013

    Thanks, Ashlee! Creativity is at my core, I just wish there were 50 plus hours in a day so I could do/make more!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.