She said something striking, as we sat in our slumber party form, girl talk in the air and opened lingerie boxes scattered about, "I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to change my body. He knows me and what I look like, why would I change who I am just for my wedding day?" My sister-in-law, three weeks away from saying "I do" to her best friend, spoke it loud and clear, right there at her Bachelorette party: Why would anyone change who they are, wedding day or whatever the occasion, just to appease the crowd? What's even the point? And why do we, as women, and maybe especially more so as bride's to be, try to change ourselves?
Honestly, I believe we try to change ourselves for our own appeasement and our own self-acceptance, more than that of the crowd. Yes our culture puts this pressure on us to fit in a certain box of beautiful, but really, it is our own self that buys into it, and purchases the idea that we have to fit inside the box that is on display. But Morgan, no way. Clearly not buying that lie, and choosing to embrace her very own beautiful, not changing herself for her wedding day--not changing herself for anyone--and very much knowing who she is and the breathtaking bride that she will be; 100% herself. And what a true example of choosing beauty this is.
Morgan reminded me of something else that weekend--that confidence is breathtaking. That not caring about what others think is freeing. That choosing to be the woman God created you to be is the only way to truly knowing true beauty and seeing it in others. What has someone in your life taught you about beauty this week?
Each Thursday Thoughts by Natalie hosts the Choose Beauty Linkup, focusing on what real beauty is, what makes us feel beautiful, how we pursue lasting beauty for our lives, the roots behind our body image issues, et. Through our posts, we'll share thoughts, experiences, inspirations, challenges and more with the hope of changing the voice about beauty that we're hearing in our culture today. Read more about the series here, and join in on the conversation by hitting "click here to enter" below.

So wonderful to hear. Whenever someone asked me what I was doing to work out and diet for my wedding I Always said "eating 5 guys!" It makes me sad that before women marry the one person who is going to love them above everyone else and asked them to Marry them just the way they are, they feel pressure to change. By magazines, past brides, family and friends asking about it the pressure is heightened! Go Morgan!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this—I love it! I'm so glad that your sister-in-law has the wisdom to understand that she doesn't need to change herself to be acceptable—as a bride, and otherwise. It's a good reminder to all of us to live with confidence in who we are, rather than endlessly strive to chance ourselves to fit a cultural mold of "beauty."
ReplyDeleteYour sis in law sounds like such an amazing & smart woman, and you are so right...confidence is breathtaking.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
XO, Gina
http://classyeverafter.blogspot.com
She is an amazing woman! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Natalie! And you're welcome! I'm so glad you loved Morgan's perspective- especially as a bride in this world where image is so pressured in the realm of all things bridal.
ReplyDeleteHaha, I love your "diet" response. And I completely agree with your thoughts!
ReplyDelete