8/7/13

Notes from a Swimmer / 3

In this little series, you'll find notes from my swimming heart. Because through and through, I'll always be a water girl. You can catch up on past Notes from a Swimmer here and here.

Oh this suit ! Its nautical stripes and high waisted synch have caught my eye ever since Natalie's post (and you guys, its on sale!) I don't need another swimsuit, but I just thought I should point out the fact that Anthropologie seems to be clearing out their summer swim collection in case you still have a trip planned to a beachside villa or a week of houseboating at the lake (I wish I did!). Also at Anthropologie, this darling menagerie juice glass.

1 & 3 // Lately when it comes to pool workouts, my bag of tricks is pretty empty. I rotate through the same sets. Over and over. Two workout tools I would love to add poolside to my kickboard, fins, and buoy are The Waterproof Coach and Workouts in a Binder. They are waterproof and have tons and tons of workouts, and are great for triathletes too.

2 // Can we just note how adorable the illustration is on this journal?

4 // Another book on my "to read" queue: Leanne Shapton's Swimming Studies (Winner of the 2012 National Book Critics Circle Award). The description of the book won me over:
" Swimming Studies is a brilliantly original, meditative memoir that explores the worlds of competitive and recreational swimming. From her training for the Olympic trials as a teenager to enjoying pools and beaches around the world as an adult, Leanne Shapton offers a fascinating glimpse into the private, often solitary, realm of swimming. Her spare and elegant writing reveals an intimate narrative of suburban adolescence, spent underwater in a discipline that continues to inspire Shapton’s work as an artist and author. Her illustrations throughout the book offer an intuitive perspective on the landscapes and imagery of the sport. Shapton’s emphasis is on the smaller moments of athletic pursuit rather than its triumphs. For the accomplished athlete, aspiring amateur, or habitual practicer, this remarkable work of written and visual sketches propels the reader through a beautifully personal and universally appealing exercise in reflection." 

4 comments:

  1. BD Youngdale8/07/2013

    That suit is so cute! I wish I needed another one

    ReplyDelete
  2. lauren tien8/07/2013

    Isn't it!? I have been debating the purchase...but I just don't need another suit! This is where I tell myself "there will always be a cute swimsuit to buy when you need it" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren Kruse8/07/2013

    You make me want to start swimming again, I haven't since high school, unless you count ocean frolics and poolside laying out...which really doesn't count in my book! xo Lauren of www.cornwellfam.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. lauren tien8/08/2013

    You should start swimming again! And ocean frolics do count :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.